Mrs. Mallard was sure that the pond in the Boston Public Gardens would be a perfect place for her and her eight ducklings to live. The problem was how to get them there through the busy streets of Boston. With a little help from the Boston police, Mrs. Mallard and Jack, Kack, Lack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, and Quack arrive safely at their new home.
1. WATCH and LISTEN to “Make Way for Ducklings” by Robert McCloskey.
2. Take a virtual field trip to Boston!
- The New England Aquarium has posted “virtual visits” accessible through their blog: www.neaq.org/blog.
- The Franklin Park Zoo in Boston has pictures and short videos of their animals.
- The Boston Children’s Museum may be closed, but they have posted resources online.
- The U.S.S. Constitution Museum has online resources and activities.
- The Museum of Science, Boston has online STEM resources.
- Got a firefighter enthusiast in your family? Click here to browse the historical collections of the Boston Fire Museum.
- The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston highlights some of their collections here.
- The Harvard Museum of Natural History has pictures and videos from their collections, as well as online exhibits.
- Take a virtual walk through Harvard’s Arnold Arboretum.
3. Other online resources and activities:
For Red Sox fans (don’t tell my dad!): www.mlb.com/redsox/fans/home-fun
Click here for New England Conservatory Musical Storytelling Showcase. (Select “Watch on YouTube” for the full list.)