Click here for a pdf version of this policy.
Policy adopted by the Board of Trustees May 11, 2015
Community notice space
The bulletin board and literature rack to the right of the library entrance are available for public announcements of cultural, social or entertainment activities, as well as passive distribution of literature and free community publications. Materials will not be excluded because of the origin, background or the political or religious views of those contributing to their creation.
The bulletin board will be used for posting single copies of an item not to exceed 8½-by-11 inches in size. Notices must be presented to library staff to ensure they meet policy guidelines, at which point they will be dated. Items will be removed by library staff once the event date has passed or in two weeks or as space or time permit. Items may be resubmitted after two weeks.
Literature, community publications and free newspapers and periodicals of local interest will be allowed if appropriate space is available.
General rules and guidelines
- Priority will be given to events or organizations within the towns of Bethlehem and New Scotland. Because of space and time limitations, some notices may not be posted.
- All age groups use the library on a regular basis. Notices and publications should be suitable for viewing by all ages.
- The library will visibly post a notice near the bulletin board stating that it does not advocate or endorse the viewpoints of the materials posted.
- The library is not responsible for maintaining or storing the supply of materials and reserves the right to dispose of any unsolicited printed material based on available space.
- Items may not be posted on adjacent walls, windows or doors.
- Notices or materials posted without authorization will be removed.
- The library assumes no responsibility for the preservation or protection of any materials delivered for posting. Materials will not be returned.
- Materials that support or oppose current candidates or ballot measures may be given to staff to be displayed. The library is not responsible for maintaining these materials and takes no position on campaign issues.